The On-Line Museum and Encyclopedia of Vision Aids.
University of Pittsburgh: Bachelor of Science 1962-1965
Boston University School of Medicine: Doctor of Medicine 1965-1969
New England Deaconess Hospital: Internship 1969-1970
University Hospital and Boston City Hospital: Ophthalmology Residency 1970-1973
American Board of Ophthalmology - Board Certified 1973
Fellowship American College of Surgeons 1977
General Ophthalmology with a subspecialty in Cataract-Implant and Laser Surgeries 1973 - 2001
Goddard Hospital Chief of Ophthalmology 1976 - 1994
Good Samaritan Medical Center Chief of Ophthalmology 1994 - 1999
Physician Service Award – Good Samaritan Medical Center 2001
Honorary Chair for 25 Years of Medical Service - Brockton Hospital 2001
Presidential Medal from the New England College of Optometry
Given at Commencement Exercises at Symphony Hall May 21, 2017
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS & SOCIETIES
Ocular Heritage Society
Ophthalmic Antiques International Collectors Club
Optometric Historical Society
PAST PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
Massachusetts Medical Society 1973
New England Ophthalmologic Society 1976
American Academy of Ophthalmology
Plymouth District Medical Society
American Intraocular Implant Society 1983
Massachusetts Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons 1988
American Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
CURRENT ACTIVITIES, PROJECTS & GOALS
- Build a dynamic and passionate community of like-minded people interested in the subject of sight and vision aids.
- Discover a broad array of optical treasures to bring before the public eye.
- Assist major auction houses to correctly date and describe objects for sale.
- Research and study antique spectacles and other vision aids from all over the world
- Examine and identify items in the collections of museums and historical societies. Additionally, I have collaborated with collections in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and United Kingdom (the list of over 200 institutions to date is available upon request).
SIGHT: The Story of Vision [documentary film]
As an Executive Producer and also Chair of the Advisory Board, I participated in the creation of the definitive film project on corrected vision. Three years in the making, SIGHT: The Story of Vision is a comprehensive PTV documentary project whose major story threads are science, medicine, technology, and humanity. The primary goal of the documentary SIGHT, with narrator Sir Elton John, and associated planetarium film SEEING, with narrator Neil deGrasse Tyson, is to educate and inform the general public worldwide that vision is every human’s most treasured sense. SIGHT, the very first Color Blind Assisted (CA) film in history, began the journey to be broadcast by PBS affiliates across the US and will go to international broadcasters in 2017. The most comprehensive program on human vision ever presented to a worldwide audience, this has already won major awards.
Antiquespectacles.com [educational website]
- Created the unique informative website related to antique vision aids, a continuously growing and evolving endeavor.
- Worked with over 1,665 educators and with over 870 institutions worldwide, including more than 340 in Europe, all of which are acknowledged on the site. Over 7,050 images are included, all dated and described.
- Continue to promote the website in order to gain international recognition of the unique subject. It has become the leading resource on this topic which, up until now, has been taken for granted and overlooked.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESS
“Eyeglasses through the Ages”, Atti della Fondiazione Giorgio Ronchi, Anno LIX, n. 6, Nov.-Dec. 2004, p. 831-843.
“Eyeglass Buff Makes Historical Finds of A Spectacular Sort”, The Wall Street Journal, Robert Tomsho, April 6th 2006
More than sixty additional articles have been published crediting the website, key discoveries or objects from my own personal collection: antiquespectacles.com/newsworthy/important_statements.htm.
The American Board of Opticianry [speaker credentials and course]
Approved as of 8/19/04 for a period of 2 years then approved again until 2009
Council on Optometric Practitioner Education [speaker credentials and course]
Approved as of 10/18/04 for a period of 3 years COPE Course ID: 12420-GO “Eyeglasses through the Ages” - one hour PowerPoint course approved for CE credit
Dec 2016, approved for ABO/NCLE.
Dec 2016, COPE Course ID: 51849-GO “Eyeglasses through the Ages”
APPROVED with Expiration Date: 12/09/2019 Qualified Credit: 1 hour(s)
MAJOR HISTORIC DISCOVERIES
- Madame Heymann Collection – greatest optical collection ever, the Holy Grail of collections – basis of her 1911 book
- Baby Jesus Painting, from the early 17th century in Naples, Italy – greatest anachronism in history
- Scarlett Trade Card - proving 1714-1727 is the more accurate date in history for the introduction of sidearms
- Examined and verified Abe Lincoln’s glasses at the Library of Congress
- Examined the collection of the Vatican Museum