The On-Line Museum and Encyclopedia of Vision Aids.
The hinged front cover has an enamel vase of flowers with rose-cut diamonds and a pearl band. This opens to reveal the watch dial with polychrome champleve decorations of musical trophies, flags, and the word “Carillon” written at the top. The correcting lens is spring loaded and releases by means of a button at the bottom. The musical mechanism, located below the watch dial, is started by depressing a button on the side of the band.
A similar piece is illustrated in “Les Automates – ABC Collection” on page 61 as belonging to Musee des Lunettes et lorgnettes de Jadis, 85, Fg. Saint-Honore (collection Pierre Marly).
Circa 1820. unsigned, Geneva. 18 K gold. 65mm x 43mm
Provenance: Sandberg Collection. Antiquorum Auction, Geneva – April11, 2001 Lot 404
Only two of these are known to exist in the world today. Due to the similar shape and engravings around the correcting lenses, it is very likely these were made as a pair. One has an automated scene while this one has a watch and a small music box.
(Double-click the video to view full-screen)